Wordcraft: J for Jaguar
As promised, here’s Part 2 of our week’s Wordcraft activities for the letter J. 🙂
You will need the following materials: A stalk of celery, elastic band, marker, artblock sheet, yellow and black paint, paintbrushes, scissors, glue.
1. Trim two short pieces off the stalk of celery. Secure the two together with an elastic band such that they form a cylindrical stamp.
2. On an artblock sheet, write out the letters j a g u a r. Draw a jaguar face as well.
3. Mix your paints on the palette.
4. With a paintbrush, paint the letters and jaguar face yellow.
5. Dip your celery stamp into the black paint and stamp all over the letters and jaguar face.
6. Leave to dry. When dry, cut out the letters and jaguar face and paste onto another sheet of paper.
Tabby, The Wild Cat, written and illustrated by Dana Kubick (published by Picadilly Press, 2003).
A delightfully illustrated book about a domestic pet cat who envisions himself to be as brave and wild as his big cat cousins.
The word jaguar is not actually mentioned in the story, but it does have pictures of a leopard, cheetah, jaguar, tiger and lion that you can share and talk about with your children.